My Sartorial Roots :: Cousin Rick

Plaid Shirt (Ralph Lauren)
Shorts (Timberland)
Sneakers (Adidas Gazelle)

I usually spend a great portion of my day looking for inspiration. It comes in many different forms. Most times people that give me that inspiration rarely ever realize it. So imagine my surprise when my 17 year old cousin Ricky (pictured above) told me that's what I was for him. He and I had a chance to catch up on things during my nephew's first birthday party a few weeks back when he revealed that he was considering studying fashion design after graduating from high school next year! I can't say that I didn't see it coming though. Rick is not your average 17 year old and he's never been an average kid. This is the same guy who put me up on the likes of J Dilla, A Tribe Called Quest and MURS while he was still a preteen. Besides his impeccable taste in music, he's never really followed trends and dressed like kids his age either.

My advice to my cousin was simply this --- BE FEARLESS! One of the things I always look back on (but don't regret) is the fact that I didn't take my passion for fashion seriously until after I had graduated from Morehouse. I wish I could have approached it with the same gusto and forethought that he is now. He is going to make an amazing designer and force to be reckoned with. I've watched him grow and evolved over the years. I can't wait to see what God has in store for him next!

0 comments: