Saddle Up!

Being a fashion forward thinker often times presents a problem. I usually figure out my look at least a season ahead and there's guaranteed to be a problem with one of the staples that I've selected. Well my hunt for the timeless saddle shoe is certainly no exception. In fact, it's the prime example of what I'm talking about. I've been looking for a saddle shoe for nearly 2 years now. I looked just about anywhere you can think of. Thrift stores (of course), flea markets, uniform stores, the internet - the list goes on for days.

Because this classic shoe has become more popular over the past couple of years, my luck has improved and I've found several options in the last 6 months. Now the proud owner of not one, but 2 pair, I have to say that this American classic is one of my favorite pieces.

Initially, I purchased this beautiful white & black Burlington from Bass Shoes ($89). Apparently it slipped my mind that I tend to wear a smaller size in dressier shoes because these were much too large for my feet. I filled out the packing slip for an exchange. That is, until I found these...

In my many travels to different thrift stores around LA, I found these 2 amazing pair of saddle shoes. During a trip to Jet Rag, with my friend celebrity wardrobe stylist Monique Scott, I found these taupe and navy saddle shoes by Cole Haan for $35 (left). I stumbled across these black & brown saddle shoes by St. John's Bay for $20, brand new, in possibly thee most random shoe/clothing store in Sante Alley.

Needless to say the Bass saddle shoes went from being exchanges to returns.

Read more coverage on these classy kicks from my brothers Joshua Kissi and Travis Gumbs over at Street Etiquette...

0 comments: