Style Investment :: Gym Membership

The battle with my weight is one that I've been fighting almost my entire life! The summer before kindergarten my metabolism decided it was going to slow down and so the war began. Though I was always overweight and awkward, I was always accepted by the in crowd so other then simply thinking I wanted to be thinner, I never seriously did anything about it. My parents kept me in sports year-round, but my appetite countered anything I was doing on the field.

During my senior year at Morehouse College my weight had reached its height, tipping the scales at almost 300 lbs. After moving back to LA after graduation, I got addicted to NBC's The Biggest Loser and decided I was finally going to do something about my weight. All the superficial reasons I'd previously had for wanting to lose the weight shifted into a more serious concern for my health. Everything I did left me winded; from climbing a single flight of stairs to tying my own shoes. Besides my health, fashion being my first love, I wanted (and still do) my clothes to fit better and to be able to shop at any store I wanted.

I started my journey by purchasing The Biggest Loser: The Weight Loss Program to Transform Your Body, Health, and Life. This book is outstanding! It gave me all the knowledge I needed about how to actually lose weight in a way that I'd never before been taught. Each and every one of my assumptions was incorrect.

I went on to lose around 80 lbs over a span of 7 months - weighing in at 206 lbs. The lowest in my adult life. I felt great! The compliments wouldn't stop, my shopping options opened up and I felt like I was finally in control of this "hunger monster" that had been dominating my life for so many years.

Unfortunately, my determination was fueled by depression and after I got over what I was going through, I gained 50 lbs back...fast! It took a long time, but today I've refocused and got back in the gym and am constantly fighting my eating habits. I've lost almost 20 lbs, with a new motivation and purpose.

I still have a ways to go. The battle continues...

Even if you happen to be your ideal size, that doesn't make you healthy. Being in great shape has nothing to do with what you look like and everything to do with what you do with your body. I encourage all of you to go out and get a membership at your local gym doing any form of exercise you like. I can't express what a difference it's made in my life since I started going 3 years ago. Although I'm not where I want to be, I know every time I step foot in 24 Hour Fitness I'm adding days to my life!

I read a great article in the February 2010 issue of GQ Magazine that talks about how to successfully and slowly shift your eating habits, making the right decisions with a busy lifestyle and seeing results down the line. Here are 10 easy steps to remember and follow:

1. Eat early.
2. Eat (small portions) often.
3. Reduce portions.
4. Monitor your hunger.
5. Drink water all day.
6. Set small, specific goals.
7. Choose the healthier options at restaurants.
8. Choose one fat per meal, not several.
9. Fuel up (eat) before exercising.
10. Drink less, drink light (alcohol).

2 comments:

♥Beauty is in the eye of the Beholder♥ | May 10, 2010 at 8:47 AM

this was such a great read and definitely the thing i needed for today being as I am starting my journey to weight loss very inspiring!

Silent Scorpion | May 18, 2010 at 2:59 PM

Great tips