What happened to all the throwback jerseys?


During a conversation I had with a few friends some months back, I jokingly asked, "what happened to all the throwback jerseys?" If you remember about 6 years ago, the hottest thing on the streets were the Mitchell & Ness throwback jerseys that were going for around $300 a pop. Needless to say, the trend was short-lived and officially put on the out of style list when Jay-Z uttered those famous lyrics, "And I don't wear jerseys I'm 30 plus/ give me a crisp pair of jeans, button-ups."

Well...I guess my question has been answered. Parisian designer Nelson presents a collection of NBA jerseys and he reworked into cardigans. From Orlando Magic, Boston Celtics to my L.A. Lakers some of the most prominent teams are represented in the small collection. The cardigans are now available from Colette.

I definitely applaud Nelson for their innovation, but I cannot endorse this product. The very site of makes me want to vomit. I don't think grown men should ever sport jerseys or any nalia outside of a game. Ever. I can only don vintage sports paraphernalia. My two favorites are my Lakers championship t-shirt from 2000 and my Rangers henley.

Classic.

2 comments:

Mrs. Johnson | May 29, 2009 at 5:03 PM

that pic should be vests from the cavs and lakers. GO LEBRON!

Anonymous | December 28, 2009 at 4:15 PM

The fall of the authentic Jersey came when cats in New York City started bootlegging them. You had cats that just paid $300 for a jersey and walk down the street to see a crack-head (literally) with the same exact jersey....

This created a BIG problem in NY. If anyone went to the Puerto Rican Day parade in 2005 they remember that everyone and their moms (literally) had on an authentic jersey. I remember the most popular ones being the LT (Lawrence Taylor, Michael Jordan (Which Mitchell & Ness never even made) and the Pistol Pete.