Kanye West x Runaway


Kanye West is a genius.

You've probably already seen this and if you're like me you've watched it over and over, at complete and utter awe. I've had countless conversations with friends over the past week discussing all the intricacies of this work of art.

In true Michael Jackson "Thriller" form, Ye has totally redefined the concept of music video for this generation. And like Mike I believe he's reaching a level of pop star that we have not seen since the late great King. We have so many celebrities these days who we praise in the arts that act, sing, rap and...in some cases do nothing at all (i.e. the endless list of sex tape toting socialites). However, I'd argue that we won't be talking about more than half of them in the next 20 years --- thoughts of the past. Sans Kanye. I'm willing to wager he's slowly muscling his way into the history books.

I can't remember the last time I anticipated an artists work in so much! I literally cannot wait to see what Kanye has up his sleeves, whether it has to do with music, fashion or cinema. I was so inspired when I watched this movie, I've had an unrelenting wave of natural energy that has gone through my body since. I think it proves now more than ever is the time for those of us who have that child-like sense of creativity, full of imagination and untapped wonder, to relish in our ideas and share them with the world without fear of being judged.

I'm ready. How about you?

2 comments:

Randy Z. | November 1, 2010 at 1:02 PM

I dont think he's changed the way music videos are presented -- MTV is already chopping up his short and playing snippets as music videos.

I do however think he has changed the way artist will demo new albums. Although its similar to what the beatles did with "hard days night" ..I think short films are the future of album previews.

Anonymous | November 7, 2010 at 4:33 PM

"I do however think he has changed the way artist will demo new albums."

Great point!