Board to Death!

Even though the June gloom insists on looming in my SoCal airspace, I think it's pretty safe to say that summer's officially here! For probably the first time in my adult life, I am genuinely excited about the season and everything it has to offer - from the countless barbeques sure to ensue to all the trips to beach I'll be taking. Because I've previously been so stuck on cold weather seasons (especially for the sake of layering), I never took the time to appreciate how awesome summer really is.

Lately, my style's been extremely influenced by the 90s and I've been searching the thrift for pieces to fulfill all my wardrobe's needs in order to respond to my new inspiration accordingly. Again, retail is just not doing it for me. I can't seem to stop yawning as stores are starting to put last season's clothing on the clearance racks and the summer inventory out on display. Everything has me bored to death, and ironically the board shorts are one of the worst offenders. There's nothing stylish about an over-sized short with too much stitching and awful graphics. Gentlemen, it's time for a change... An upgrade, if you will.

I found the shorts in the photos above at a few different thrift stores for all under $5 each (and of course I cleaned them thoroughly). I love them because of the colors, designs and lengths. They feel more adult, have much more character than the board shorts they're currently selling at retail and they are more closely aligned with my style.

My favorite are the vintage, acid wash Nike shorts you see in the first photo above (pictured in front of Versace's house). I styled them with a green striped tank I got from Old Navy for $5 during a recent trip to Miami. I love the contrast of the textures and colors!

I absolutely love what Rogues Gallery is doing this season with their collection of swim trunks! They use bold colors, great length (right above the knee), and smart tailoring. This is the prime example of what I'm endorsing this summer. Click here to see more from Rogues Gallery.

0 comments: