Journey Home

About a month ago I went "home" to Atlanta for the graduations of my cousin James, long time friend Patrick, and honorary little brother Marcus from my alma mater Morehouse College. I hadn't been in 2 years. ATL is always such a breathe of fresh air for me. I was born and raised in LA, but it wasn't until I made my matriculation through Morehouse that I became a man. In retrospect, its so crazy how much I matured, experienced and learned in what seemed like a flash of 4 short years.

While sitting in the Alumni section upfront during the graduation ceremony, I was almost moved to tears looking around at all my peers who have accomplished so much since walking through those gates and thinking about what it means to be amongst the ranks of such men. The term "Morehouse Man" implies to so many different things and comes with so much responsibility --- all of which I welcome and do my best to live out each and every day of my life.

After the ceremony ended I marched out with my fellow alums, leading the brigade of new graduates. During the precession I stared at all the different halls in which I walked, took in the Georgia air that I breathed and smirked at the new generation of Men of Morehouse in all their stylish, rightfully arrogant glory --- my chest swelled with pride and my heart full of joy.

I have returned home with a renewed sense of purpose. For I know that I am predisposed to greatness.

While walking around campus I so much praise on my blog. I had no idea that so many people were turned in, even though we don't speak on a regular basis. What a humbling feeling. In addition, there were several compliments on one my favorite accessories I acquired for the season --- the ever so regal straw Italian boater hat you see in the photo above.

The “Boater Hat” was created in the 1880’s and was brought to America by Italian immigrants and was so called, because it was originally worn by the Gondoliers, usually with a long, doppio nastro. The “nastro” was an easily worn hat ribbon usually in navy and red. Its popularity soared with the American public in the late 19th and early 20th century. The boater hat was a favorite choice of summer headwear and was often seen sported by the middle class for weekend outings, picnics, and more formal events.

Through the years, the Boater hat enjoyed such popularity that it became known as “The Hat of the People”. Not only was it a favorite for entertainers in Vaudeville and light musicals but it was also thought to have been worn by some FBI agents as a sort of unofficial designation in pre-war times.

0 comments: