From Mr. (socially) ACTIVE to Mr. (socially) ALPHA


On March 14, 2009, a longtime dream of mine was finally realized. I became a member of the illustrious ALPHA PHI ALPHA FRATERNITY, INC!!! For most people it was a complete and utter shock when I announced it on facebook. I got so many people who said, "I didn't even know you were interested." And to that I say you weren't supposed to know. Showing interest and being brought into a BGLO (black Greek lettered organization) is an extremely private thing. It is only between you and that organization, but I digress...

Becoming a member of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Incorporated has been one of the most meaningful and emotional moments of my life. I'd been interested since my Freshman year at Morehouse College. Previous to attending my Alma mater, I had never heard of Alpha. After becoming acclimated with the school and familiar with the fraternities on my campus, there were no doubts in my mind that I wanted to be a member of A Phi A. They were definitely men of distinction. Men that I found to share my same values and ideals. Men who exhibited a high level of class and commanded an even higher level of respect. Due to reasons that I won't get into on my blog, I didn't make it through the Alpha Rho Chapter at Morehouse. The funny thing is that I thought my passion for wanting to be apart of the organization would die down after I graduated. I was dead wrong. Regardless of the fact that I was no longer in college and not actively participating in college activities, I found myself wanting to be a member of A Phi A more so than I did when I was in college.

I'm a person who believes in fate and seeing my Spesh, LaJon, at the Morehouse/Spelman picnic last summer was fate. It is through him that I found my chapter, Beta Psi Lambda, where upon first meeting the members I knew this was the one for me.

I spent months "going through the process" (that's what we'll call it for legal reasons). There was a lot that went into becoming a member (again, I'm being elusive for a reason). After numerous, tiring months I achieved what I never thought possible. On Saturday, March 14, 2009, 8:10:07 I became the ICE COLD Ace of Alpha Phi Alpha Fraternity, Inc, Beta Psi Lambda Chapter, Spring 2009 line, Utashi.

This explains a great deal of my absense from my beloved blog, as well as on the social scene for the past few months. I've been a Neo for about a week and a half now and there's nothing like it! I'm among the ranks of the most gifted, intelligent, distinguished Black men on God's green earth.



Special thanks to my chapter President Dr. C. P. Loeb, my Dean Jason, my Spesh LaJon, my LBs (Jerry, Marques, Brandon & Donald), the members of Beta Psi Lambda, the members of Alpha Rho, John Gist and all my Bruhs for so warmly welcoming me into the Brotherhood. I look forward to a lifetime of priceless experiences with my Fraternity.

I AM ALPHA PHI ALPHA!!! 1-1-1-1-9 06!!!

5 comments:

Mrs. Johnson | March 23, 2009 at 5:14 PM

thumbs up!

Carl | March 24, 2009 at 6:21 AM

A PHI!!!!!!!!!!!

Congrats, Brother. Welcome to the Pham.

LaLa | March 24, 2009 at 9:55 AM

FINALLY the BLOG POST!!!
opened my dashboard this morning and what do I see... my new favorite picture of you!!

Words can't even express how happy and proud I am! You wonderful babe you constantly surround yourself with better and better and bigger things never fails!!! Always amazing me, glad I was in the need to know group, honor to say the least!



as we say,

"JUST LIVING THE DREAM!!"

lol
love you,
blogger formally know as Socially Active haha


-L

They call me "Opti" | March 25, 2009 at 9:36 AM

Congrats!

johnnie | August 13, 2009 at 10:55 AM

Onward and Upward! Brother!