TAE BEAST x THE TAE BEAST TAPE
In the spirit of J. Dilla, young producer Tae Beast just released a mixtape chock full of some of the most of amazing beats I've heard to date. No loud mouth rappers setting the tone for each, just beats, taking you on a journey of kicks, snares and subtle samples.
Click here to download.
1. Bill Cosby Intro/Believe
2. El Campo
3. Harlem Apollo
4. Blue Ship
5. Another Go
6. Together/Keynote Speaker
7. Gorilla Monsoon
9. Jamaican Gold
10. Adrianna's Dream
11. Kayden's Interlude
12. Speak Low/Richard Pryor TV
13. The Love Blue
14. Love +
15. Left Me
16. Sunday Nite
17. Chi-Town/Congressional Skit
18. History 03:34
AB-SOUL x LONG TERM 2: LIFESTYLES OF THE BROKE & ALMOST FAMOUS
I'm especially proud of this mixtape because it comes from an artist from my very own hometown of Carson, CA. Ab and I have some mutual friends and I've heard his music over the years. The evolution of his talent is truly something to marvel at. His vocabulary has expanded, ideas more abstract and beats even more epic. This mixtape is incredible. OMG! He goes through all the complexities of growing up a Black kid in the suburbs, the struggles of a talented artist and his journey so vividly and honest. To my delight he even has a feature from Little Brother artist Rapper Big Pooh! How insane is that?!
Click here and enjoy the ride.
1. Still a Regular N*gga (ft. Javonte) [prod. Sounwave]
2. No Pressure (ft. Jay Rock) [prod. Statmajor]
3. Drift Away [prod. Pro Logic]
4. Livin Like (ft. Rapper Big Pooh) [prod. Tommy Black]
5. House Party 5 [prod. Sounwave]
6. Be a Man [prod. Tae Beast]
7. Soul Cry [prod. Willie B.]
8. Turn Me Up (ft. Kendrick Lamar) [prod. Tae Beast]
9. Passion (ft. Alori Joh) [prod. King Blue (of Sore Losers)]
10. Bankrupt [prod. Soundwave]
11. Mayday [prod. Willie B.]
12. Rush [prod. Tae Beast]
13. Pass The Blunt (ft. Schoolboy Q) [prod. King Blue]
14. My Dream Girl [prod. Neffu]
15. Can Anybody Hear Me (ft. Punch) [prod. Tae Beast]
16. Long Term 2 [prod. Curtiss King]
17. Budget Ballin [prod. Soundwave]**
18. Thought It Was Love (ft. Sore Losers)**
HABIT x CLOSE TO ALMOST
One night I went to the Dakota Lounge for a Yoo-N-LA event and had the chance to see indie artist Habit perform. I have to admit that one of those people who when told to "put my hands up" by someone I don't know will give the coldest blank stare. Although didn't initially follow directions, I was definitely doing so after the first song! Habit's music and stage presence was a breathe of fresh air - very clever and energetic! The young spitter says of himself, "Born and raised in LA...moved to AZ for college...I rap about everything that happened before that, and all the greatness to come."
Click here and zone out.