I FINALLY decided to stop dreaming...

This is probably my most personal entry to date.

For all of you that don't already know...I finally decided to stop daydreaming...

I've been working in PR for the past year and I absolutely HATE it. Garnering media coverage for consumer and hospitality clients is hardly how I want to spend the rest of my life. But because I'm my mother's child, I've always been very practical in my career choices. As a result, when I attended Morehouse, I majored in Business. I've had internships and jobs with some of the largest and most respectable companies in the country. BUT, I've been miserable and I couldn't figure out why.

This past summer, my friends have been getting on my case about working in an industry that I don't like. Patrick and Fred in particular, have been pushing me to pursue my passion, my first love, the one thing that really excites and interests me most - FASHION! Initially, I just humored them with Diddy answers, "uh huh, yeah." But as the pressure grew, so did my disdain for my job. After many talks and encouragement from those closest to me, I FINALLY reached my boiling point.

Last Friday, August 29, 2008, I got up, showered, got dressed and completed my boring office ensemble with my Obama button (inspired by his tear-jerking speech the night before). When I got to work I walked into my boss' office and turned in my 2 week letter of resignation. I quit! Respectfully, of course. I work for one of the BEST PR agencies in Southern California as an assistant account executive...but I can't do it anymore.

My friends are my rock - that extra push I need. I'm going for it! I'm enrolling in FIDM (Fashion Institute of Design and Merchandising) in the Winter. For some reason, after living my entire life in fear of being living dream, I'm not scarred anymore. Life is too short. I'd be mad at myself for the rest of my life if I didn't do it. I'm SO fucking excited! Following in the footsteps of those that came before me, my idols - Tom Ford, Marc Jacobs, Calvin Klein, Ralph Lauren, Yves Saint Laurent, Oscar de la Renta, Karl Lagerfeld - the list goes on! [long sigh]

Life is about to begin...

I got my first informational packet from FIDM today!



3 comments:

Curtiss King | September 5, 2008 at 11:48 AM

Yesssssssss!!!!!

Am | September 8, 2008 at 5:59 PM

Good Luck!!! Fashion is my life too, although I'm studying business also, I really want to go into International Branding with fashion houses such as LVMH or GenArt....

**Stick with it...you inspire me**

check my blog at: acidchocolateneon.blogspot.com, it's new so there are more posts to come!

Synergy | September 9, 2008 at 5:43 PM

OMG, I think that is great that you decided to do what you want to do...I raise my glass to you for not joining the mass of American people who are def. "dreaming" of being somplace else, doing something else...and who are basically miserable...Congrats and Godspeed my friend!!