My Thoughts :: 808s & Heartbreaks



Hmmm...where do I begin?

I've listened to Kanye's new album twice this morning to give it a fair assessment. I've read reviews and others friends & fellow bloggers' opinion, but as always, I have to judge for myself.

I'll just be direct - I'm not impressed. First, I feel like no one else should be allowed to use an autotune from now on besides T-Pain. That instrument needs to be retired for another 10 or 15 years. Seriously. Second, this is probably the saddest, most emotional work I've heard in a long time and that's not at all a good thing in this case. You can't help but feel for him on the entire album. The last track "Pinocchio Story (Freestyle Live From Singapore)" is depressing. I will probably never listen to it again. The only tracks worth listening to, in my opinion, are "Say You Will," "Paranoid," and "Street Lights." Everything else sounds like a throw-away track to me.

People are quick to call Kanye crazy, but I don't at all think he is. Sure he whines and goes off about dumb shit from time to time, but I'd call him passionate before anything else. On this album I felt like he had a great deal of raw emotion that he couldn't figure out how to channel. His mother passed this year and he called off his engagement to Alexis Phifer. Dude needs some therapy and a vacation.

I have to say that this is his worse album to date. However, I'm still an avid fan. I love his vision and perspective on fashion and music. I don't think that'll change anytime soon.

4 comments:

Curtiss King | November 25, 2008 at 1:37 PM

Exactly. However after dude takes that appropriate break and gets his emotions in control we might be looking at one of the most redemptive albums ever. At least thats what Im hoping.

LaLa | November 25, 2008 at 2:10 PM

I agree with a lot but not everything but you bring much cause to the effect. good read babe.

-L

C | November 26, 2008 at 12:21 PM

i don't understand...are you saying it's not okay to be emotional, or to express yourself through you're craft? And what system of measurement determines whether or not the album was "as good as it could've been"?
food for though
-lovey

Jules | November 27, 2008 at 12:05 PM

Yeah, it's depressing, it's emotional, but when I heard the album for the first time, I appreciated - once again - that Kanye forces me to listen to something completely different. He's making music that will fill arenas (Welcome to Heartbreak, Paranoid), kinda like Coldplay I'd say. I ain't mad at it....