Seth Says...

I have a random retail rant and I've been meaning to post this for a minute. Below is what I had in mind (Zara Fall 09, Look #15) for my birthday that just passed. I found it on my daily routine fashion blogagge one day and decided I was going to make every effort to be less than tradition for this major milestone. I immediately started on the hunt for this killer jacket at every Zara in Southern California...no luck. I then visited every major retailer and men's boutique I could think of to find something comparable...no luck. Finally, the search ended with all the swapmeets, flea markets and thrift stores...no luck. I wasn't necessarily upset that I couldn't find the jacket. I was more pissed about the fact that out of all the articles of clothing I'd come across in the weeks leading up to my celebration, nothing was extraordinarily unique. Menswear is SO very boring right now! They've been selling the same stuff for the past 4 seasons - boring blazers, jackets, coats, sweaters, shirts...the list goes on.

But it's not the retailers I blame. It's the general population of men. Most are so cowardice and meek when it comes to the way they dress. Instead of selecting something a little more creative, they opt for what's safe. Gentlemen, you are killing retail! Be bold! Be daring! Shake things up! That's one of the cardinal rule of truly being a stylish man...

2 comments:

productofvenus | February 18, 2010 at 8:34 PM

fortunately for me being a woman it is easier to experiment outside of the typical "fashion comfort zone" which means that we have a variety of style choices to do from...hopefully with fashion pioneers such as yourself, the fashion world for men will expand and flourish equally as much as it does for women!

Trans_Am | March 2, 2010 at 3:13 PM

You have GOT to be kidding me... Zara in Santa Monica had this jacket sitting on the rack every time I browsed through there a couple months ago. Did you ask if they had it in the back because they told me that a lot of the merchandise that they're moving out/sending back they hold onto for a few weeks.