I'm putting dollars in my mouth!


I know you've heard the expression, "Put your money where your mouth is," right? Well, that's exactly what I'm doing. For the past few months I've been talking about my dream of attending FIDM here in Downtown Los Angeles. I've always had the passion for fashion, but never had the courage to actually pursue a career in the industry until recently.

Just to recap: I applied and got into FIDM a few months back. I was all excited. I couldn't keep it to myself. I told everyone I knew and even posted it on my blog. Well, some months have passed and reality started to set in. Although I have the passion, the vision and the drive to attend FIDM, I don't have the money. The program is $33,000. Yes, that's 33,000 US American dollars. Money I don't currently have. I was willing to take out a loan, but because I already have a degree and the economy is the way it is right now, I couldn't get approved. So, what am I to do? Cry about it? Give up? HELL NO! LoL! That's just not my steeze - not the way I operate.

I decided that with what limited time I have now that I was going to start taking my fashion courses at local city colleges in L.A. I immediately got online, did my research and found a couple of classes at El Camino College and LA Trade Tech that fit into my schedule. Last week, I officially registered for Clothing Construction I and Fashion Design & Sketching I. I'm starting with the basics and working my way up. So far the classes are great! I'm definitely in the minority being the only male in one of my classes and one of only 2 Black students. I love it though! I like being special.

One of my boys, whose also making a name for himself in the industry once told me, "I'm so proud of you for making the decision to pursue your dream. That takes courage. But remember, everyone wants to do this. And the difference between us and them is that we actually have talent and we know one of the keys to being successful in this industry is education. You need a solid foundation and you have to know what you're doing. Knowing what 'looks good is only part of it.'" Truer words have never been spoken.

So, follow me on my journey to becoming a powerhouse in the industry. Step by step.



7 comments:

LaLa | February 24, 2009 at 3:20 PM

yesssssss! I was waiting for this!
super glad we talked about this before you posted for world to see tho, makes me feel up to date with the life and times of Mr. Socially Active! Word!

Well I too want to give you a huge pat on the back, high-5, bear hug, the loud YESSSSS and all of that goodness for taking this HUGE leap toward ACCOMPLISHING your dream! You boy is hella smart and right and yet left one thing out, it's friends like him, supporters, motivators that SEPARATES you from the rest of them. Chris your not a dreamer hanging on a cloud somewhere waiting for the 'POOF' to happen, your busy making your own poofs lmao sounds funny but it's the truth, your not waiting for that handle out you know what you want and make moves. Thus why you fucken amazing! And why you inspire me so much! I'm extra excited for you and this move. You got this!!!

love you
L

C | February 24, 2009 at 4:33 PM

love this pic of you

C | February 24, 2009 at 8:04 PM

http://secretforts.blogspot.com/

Mrs. Johnson | February 24, 2009 at 8:25 PM

don't forget to give me some free stuff! hehehe!

J.MuZik | February 24, 2009 at 10:17 PM

i really wish you the best! i see you have class, style, the fresh factor...

you are on the right mindset, dont give up for shit on your plan! youre a star bwoi!!! lol. i pray for your success! get it bwoi!!

Mustang Sally | February 25, 2009 at 11:56 AM

im wondering if anyone besides me noticed your beast pink sweatshirt...?

rissapeace, | March 7, 2009 at 3:03 AM

awww FIDM dreams, we share this....
im glad you found a different road... that's the way to make it.. flip a unfortunate issue into something very positive...

Like you, FIDM has always been my dream I've done the on campus tours interviews possible loans... and it just wasn't my time FIDM has always been on the "not in my budget" list... so slowly but surely I'm living my dream by my daily hustle.. gotta make it do with what you got around you... especially when money doesn't grow on my trees...

congrats sir take advantage of those local junior colleges...

btw, my homegirl goes to LA trade tech for fashion also (; yall should link up she needs friend lmao she just moved out there