Throwback :: College Apartment Chic


Again, digging through some old pictures I found in my e-mail today, I came across a photo of my room in my apartment from my junior and part of senior year of college. Man, I miss having my own place! Atlanta is the ideal city for young African Americans who are looking to be independent. The cost of living is significantly lower than L.A. They're constantly building so competition is fierce! My roommate, and one of my best friends, Marcha and I only paid $840 a month. We had two bedrooms, two bathrooms, living room, kitchen (with all the appliances), sunroom, office and laundry room. Something like that in L.A. would cost an arm and a leg.

This room is definitely a reflection of my personal style and taste - even to this day. When it comes to bedrooms, I prefer mostly earth tones, dark wood, plush bedding and subtle pops of color. This was the first opportunity I had to really decorate something completely from scratch and make it my own.

I remember when I returned to Atlanta my junior year from summer vacation and interning at Mattel, getting my first apartment together was the ONLY thing on my mind. A few weeks prior, Atlanta had the grand opening of the first IKEA in the South. I didn't really think it was a big deal because I had grown up right down the street from an IKEA and took it for granted, I guess. It was pure MADNESS! There was so many people during the first couple of months of business that they had to create nearby parking lots with shuttle service. After the initial shock, I got my myself together and fought the crowds to get what I needed. There was also many trips to Wal-Mart, Cost Plus, Target and Marshall's.

The end result was the fly ass room you see above. I was so proud of my apartment out in the suburbs of ATL.

Oh, the nostalgia...

3 comments:

LaLa | February 17, 2009 at 3:36 PM

you never seize to amaze me with your genius and OOC freshness....

Alanna | February 17, 2009 at 4:01 PM

I have no idea how exactly I found your blog but I love it!

philosoulphy | February 18, 2009 at 9:55 AM

i usually design rooms using computer software and never really get to see it in a home setting. looks damn good. so many people sleep on IKEA since they believe its cheap, but you can go the minimalistic route and save a lot of money. i'm amazed at your thrift and creativity. you sir are recession proof. you'll be fly no matter what.

-tony