One Year Ago...


This past Saturday, February 21st, marked the one year anniversary of the passing of one of my dearest, closest friends Sylvanna Jandel King. She passed away due to complications from a car accident she'd been in a week prior. That was probably the worst news I've ever received in my life. I'll never forget that morning when Marcha and OD called me. It was like someone had literally ripped my heart out. I've had loved ones die before - grandparents, aunts, uncles, older cousins, family friends - but never someone so near in age, so close to me.

Sylvanna was my dog, my ace, my partner in crime. All my relationships with people are unique and ours was no exception. She called me "Puffy" because of my entrepreneurial spirit, outgoing personality, and sense of style. I called her "Kim" because of her love & respect for the female MC, "Hardcore" personality and passion for empowering women. She made my time in Atlanta that much more enjoyable. I probably spent more time with her my senior year than anyone else. After class everyday, I'd walk to her apartment (which was right across the street) and crash on her couch for about an hour. Then, we'd get up, go shopping and grab something to eat. Our favorite stores were Old Navy, Gap and Know Style. I think we may have visited every single one in the greater Atlanta area. We'd spend hours critiquing each other's wardrobe choices, eating and talking shit. I can't listen to Diddy's "Come To Me" without thinking about her. She made me do the "Diddy dance" every time it came on the radio.

"Kim" was one of the most ambitious women I've ever come across. Our senior year of college, she opened and incorporated her own PR and artist management company - Emani 409 Entertainment - where I served as Creative Director. She eventually got a position as a production assistant for MTV in Atlanta and then was offered a full-time position at their quarters in New York after graduation. She was destined for great things, but God had another plan for her life...

Our entire group of "Superfriends" met up in Atlanta to drive down to Florida for her services. It was such a bittersweet experience. Many of us hadn't seen each other in months and we all enjoyed each other's company immensely. The other side of that equation is the circumstances that we all met up under. It wasn't until we were around the corner from the church that the magnitude of losing one of our Supers truly dawned on us. It was tough, to say the least, but with each other we all got through it.

I believe in purpose and that we are all here to serve one. Sylvanna's purpose in my life reveals itself everytime I think about her. She taught me that caring and love is not shown by words, but by your actions. If you didn't know her, your first instinct would tell you that she was a cold-hearted person, but that couldn't have been further from the truth. She had one of the biggest hearts and would literally give you the clothes off your back if you needed them. Her passing definitely brought our group closer together. There's not a day that goes by that I don't talk to one of my Supers. She made me really appreciate my true friendships.

I'll cherish her memory for as long as I live...

3 comments:

Gofer Butler | April 28, 2009 at 2:12 AM

Wow....I really miss "G-baby". Jandel was an awesome person and she looked out for me from day one......It's amazing how life goes by soooooo fast.

Forever young you and I "G-baby" (2001-2002).....ur trips to da "O" were not in vain.

yvonne | May 28, 2009 at 12:38 AM

Jandel King was my cousin and i loved her dearly. I will miss her for the rest of my life. I am so happy she had such wonderful friends.

Antione S. | November 17, 2009 at 8:24 AM

I cant begin to say how much this saddens me. it hurts so bad even tho i havent seen or talked to Sylvanna in years it feels like yesterday... She helped me be more of a strong person in life and i never got a chance to thank her i loved her with all my heart and wish we could have never fell out of touch she was smart sharp and really cool and careing i miss her i always missed her woow she was a love i wish had never ended .... one love Jandel Sylvanna King!!! p.s i would like to know about what happend i have been trying search for her for some time so if someone could email or text me some info please do thank you r2g2008@live.com 404 429-3307-Antione Southall