My Sartorial Roots :: Mr. Rogers

Fred Rogers is probably best known as the host of the television show Mister Rogers' Neighborhood, in production from 1968 to 2001. I grew up with Fred in my morning line-up right along side Sesame Street and David the Gnome. But little did I know while singing along with "Won't You Be My Neighbor" and learning about mathematics, tolerance and fictitious worlds in train tunnels, he was also teaching me about personal style.

In retrospect, one of my favorite parts of the show was at the very beginning when he changed from what appeared to be his work clothes comprised of a nice blazer and dress shoes into a colorful cable knit cardigan and canvas sneakers. Mr. Rogers dispelled all notions that style is a priority over comfort. He epitomized the term gentlemen; always classy with his button-collar shirt, patterned tie and perfectly pressed slacks.

Today, I find myself constantly borrowing elements from the man I admired and loved so much as a child. Everything he wore, even 40+ years ago, are still staples in my closet.

Fred McFeely Rogers. Educator, Presbyterian minister, songwriter, television host...STYLE ICON.

2 comments:

Randy Z. | March 3, 2010 at 9:09 AM

low key, JJ Evans' wardrobe from "good times" had real dope color schemes, too.

Mr. Fantastic | March 6, 2010 at 12:13 AM

I think you just admitted to swagger jackin' Mr. Rogers.