Sean John Purchases Enyce

One of my favorite moguls, Diddy, just purchased flailing urban clothing label Enyce from Liz Claiborne for $20 million.

In reference to the deal, Diddy said, "I see this opportunity in a similar way that I do with my music. I take a song and remix it to make a hit. We are going to do the same thing with Enyce," he says. Let’s just hope it’s more "Can’t Hold Me Down," than "Come With Me."

I don't exactly know how I feel about this one. I might be a little bias because I HATE urban fashion - at least as far as my personal style goes. On one hand, I love what urban fashion has done for our community in terms of giving us a voice, showing the industry that we're a relevant market and giving us alternative means to express ourselves. On the other hand, I feel like urban fashion hasn't evolved since it's emergence in the late 80s/early 90s. Most of the remaining urban clothing lines still boast baggy jeans and the label's name printed EVERYWHERE. Nothing has changed! There's no imagination, no creativity and no innovation. A few weeks ago, I came across an article about Karl Kani coming back and I was excited to see what he was doing. Especially since he's one of the godfathers of urban fashion AND because basically everything I wore in the early 90s was either Cross Colours or Karl Kani. So, I go to the new website and was so, as Michael Kors would say, "Underwhelmed." CLICK HERE to see his "new line." SUCH a disappointment.



Getting back to my original point, I'm curious to see what Mr. Combs is planning to do with Enyce. Yes a "remix" is nice, but I don't want a sample. I'm expecting to see a totally different line that just happens to share the same name. I'm of the personal believe that urban fashion (Enyce, Rocawear, Akademiks, Ecko, & all the et ceteras) is for people under the age of 18. If you're no longer in high school you need to step your game up. But I also believe that today's youth are little more sophisticated than they were when I was in school. They don't want the same baggy stuff we were wearing when I was in grade school.

I guess we shall have to wait and see...

2 comments:

singer/songwriter/fly-guy | October 22, 2008 at 7:35 PM

whoa... yeah, we will have to see.

GLADITSNIGT.COM | October 22, 2008 at 8:59 PM

WAS THAT WORTH THE DOUGH?!